04 June 2009

SUNNO))) - MONOLITHS & DIMENSIONS

I am, as I write this, making the glorious mistake of listening to the new SunnO))) album, Monoliths & Dimensions, at work. It has been a long day at the end of a long week, at the end of a very, very long series of weeks. Maybe it's because I feel like a toiling slave of old that I identify with the riffs that move at the pace of a ten-ton pyramid block, which is what SunnO))) have been doing since their robed and droning inception. A typical SunnO))) concert is pictured above.

This album is fucking crazy. Probably one of the most wonderfully frightening and creepy albums I've ever heard. Conch horns and harpy choirs flare up around thick lava moats of throat singing and incredibly, incredibly distorted vintage amplifiers as big as your damn house. The blaring and extreme lumbering, rather than driving me crazy, are activating my mind in a very unique way, and that is probably the whole point of music. It's interesting to note that there are somewhere between thirteen and sixteen non-band contributors to this album, but if you want all that shit go read Pitchfork (who gave it an 8.5 no less!). I can't be bothered. The healing has begun.

No comments: