07 November 2008

GZA - LIQUID SWORDS


RZA, GZA and the Wu are some of the best creators of that vague creepiness in rap that reminds one of traveling through space. I don't know, maybe it's the echoes and the awesomely out-of-tune bass. These guys rap calmly, just because they have some shit to tell you. So I knew that GZA's solo career was probably more of the same, at least in the way that GZA was a blue and RZA was a red in the galactic purple of the Wu-Tang Clan. Well, I didn't really know until just a few minutes ago, when I started listening to GZA's Liquid Swords for the first time. ANYONE WHO SAYS 90's MUSIC SUCKS: I remind you that this incredible, incredible album is a product of that decade/generation...there's always good shit from every decade, but most of it ain't on the radio in the next one. So this album of silvery-blue bubbles, of calm subterranean rap, is definitely one you should listen to. Music of the future. 

3 comments:

Radstronomical said...

I've got this album. Good times.

LAudaP said...

Yeah son. Yes.

left of the dial said...

"calm subterranean rap"

you're fucking kidding, right?