30 October 2008

FLEET FOXES

FLEET FOXES! Where have I been on this one? I am a procrastinator by nature, so I tend to miss the boat on a lot. For example, and maybe as your faithful blogger I shouldn't be revealing this, but--[whispers]--I didn't listen to Animal Collective 'til Strawberry Jam...
Yes, that's a truism. Meaning it's true. Nonetheless, we have an album and a band to discuss, so enough about me. These guys are beautiful. I imagine this is what your parents sound like to you when you're a small blanketed baby, Fleet Foxes have that kind of blood-borne familiarity. There's nothing quite like a bunch of grown men letting loose in three-part harmony...first you're thinking, "Oh, OK, beards. They're dirty and uncouth." Then they open their mouths simultaneously and sound like a tri-tonal trumpet leading an orchestra of bells and BAM! You've got an instant sunrise soundtrack. And isn't that what life is all about, when you get down to it? It's an elfin March morning, everyone! Spring is coming!!

3 comments:

PMom said...

Loren, Like I said, I have wanted to listen to these guys for a while..."An Elfin March Morning?"...how can one resist that? It will be interesting to see which song I heard on the radio to make me want to listen to more.....Most of the bands that you have reviewed are dfinitely not on any radio I've heard....Love PMom

PMom said...

Now I know I did hear a Fleet Foxes track on WFUV......I did like this band and most of the music I heard. The lead singer sounds a lot like "My Morning Jacket"(hence the WFUV play time), and I found the music pleasant to listen to, love the titles of the songs, and would buy it. I can't dance to it, though......Love, PMom

John said...

Hey, I'm really wild about these guys lately. I think it's amazing the way they can softly sing violence. Like "White Winter Hymn." The image of someone falling and turning the "white snow red as strawberries in the summertime" is really haunting and beautiful. I am also a huge fan of "Ragged Wood," particularly the faster parts. I just love the way his voice sounds on the line, "You should come back home." It almost seems to crack in a really excited, childlike way.