31 March 2009

SEPULTURA

Ah, Brazil. Dangerous and beautiful. Where the bikinis are low-cut and the crime rates are high. I, personally, choose to focus on the positive. Brazil, you have given us Piedra Azul, Caetano Veloso, and Sepultura. For this I thank you.

Piedra Azul

Beneath the Remains
is certainly equal to Slayer's magnum opus Reign in Blood in terms of intensity and pure, unadulterated riffage. This is one of those albums that I listen to over and over again--one of those albums that stands out in the vast, churning red sea that is Thrash Metal. It's one of those albums that makes me want to learn how to play it from beginning to end. And Oh, I will succeed. Ever wonder what a motorcycle made out of dead robots would sound like? Well, take a listen brothers and sisters. This thing was, and is, way ahead of its time.

2 comments:

atanamar said...

This is one of my all-time favorite albums. When I was in high school, I had a band that did indeed try to learn all of these songs. I think the only one that ever made it to an actual performance as "Mass Hypnosis." I still can play the whole song. Awesome.

LAudaP said...

That one must be fun to play live! I have to say, my favorite is probably the song before it, "Stronger Than Hate". Not only is it heavy and scary, then they throw in that bass solo at the end??? Fucking amazing.