29 March 2009

FLYING LOTUS: IMAGERY

These music videos are (pretty much EXACTLY) what I see in my head when I throw some Lotus on the headphones. They are beautiful and pretty perfect, and very touching to me because I grew up with the films that this video samples. They--and Flying Lotus' album, Los Angeles--are dear to me because, although you would find all of the films here in the Sci-Fi section of your local Blockbuster or whatever, they capture the very things that make science fiction as a genre so compelling.

I like to think that I didn't get into science fiction when I was a kid as a way to withdraw from social interaction, or some kind of coping mechanism for being maladjusted and weird. I never pretended Princess Leia or the "hot" Borg chick from "Star Trek: Voyager" was my girlfriend. I wanted to be a Jedi because they were powerful but enlightened. They were in touch with the universe. The space explorers in these films touched on a deep well of desire in me to get to know the space we are floating around in, to accept it as part of myself and try to bathe in its complexity, since it is my complexity too. Space and the future--and really everything--in these movies are psychedelic, and not in a cheesy tie-dye way, but in a way of truly altering one's mind that results in broader, more realistic knowing.

Enjoy this shit:

http://vimeo.com/3785598

No comments: