15 December 2008

OM


Ex-Sleep riff-wraiths unfurl drum-and-bass songs of worship that roll like a brewing ocean. Upon hearing of this band's premise, I thought: "It will need guitar." Guess what: it don't. Al Cisneros' bass makes fat ribbons of riff that buzz and crawl with the best, THE BEST I SAY. Chris Hakius does the most with the least--check out his bass drumming on the end of "At Giza" from their album Conference of the Birds. That reminds me--these guys know how to name their albums: 

Conference of the Birds 
Gebel Barkal
Inerrant Rays of Infallible Sun (Blackship Shrinebuilder) 
Live in Jerusalem* 
Pilgrimage 
Variations on a Theme

If you think these songs are boring, you don't have ears as far as I'm concerned. When I hear them I can't stop seeing these musicians' barely luminous cat eyes beaming their dull green pools into my skull. Wow. Music to get lost in, to be sure. Sample their unitive knowledge of the godhead. 

*Yes, this album is a live concert recorded in Jerusalem. 

1 comment:

Baby Bear said...

I am so glad I finally listened to Om! Blew my mind. Best for relaxing and riding the waves of totally awesome music to a land of calm.